Friday, August 7, 2009

Consolidation loan for more than the value of my home?

A financial institution has made an offer to combine all of my credit card debt ($35,000), my mortgage ($120,000) and my second mortgage ($29,000) for a total loan value of $184,000. I believe that my home is only valued around 165,000-170,000. The offer is for a 15 year loan at 8.89% APR. (My current mortgage is 6% and the second mortgage is 6.4%). It would only reduce my monthly payments by a couple hundred dollars, but the thought of having my home paid for in 15years is appealing. They are charging a pre-paid finance charge of $7400, which I really don%26#039;t understand. They are adding that to the value of the loan making the total principal to be $194,000. I am really leaning towards going forward on this, but would really appreciate any advice. I am a little uneasy about the fact they are offering the loan for more than the value of my house. I realize that I will have to change my spending habits and get rid of my credit cards or this is useless. Thanks!



Consolidation loan for more than the value of my home?heart rate





You can do this, then live within your means; just know that you are married to the house for many years as you wait for its value to increase to what you owe. It would help if you were in a state with soaring values. You might also consider settling out the credit card debt for less if it is delinquent.



Consolidation loan for more than the value of my home? loan



Bad, bad idea.



Borrowing more money than your house is worth is never a good idea. Even if you live in an area that has appreciated substatially over the last couple of years, that trend is coming to an end or at least slowing down considerably. If you had to unload your home, for whatever reason, you%26#039;d have a hard time. You wouldn%26#039;t have any equity and couldn%26#039;t pay the costs associated with the sale (broker commission, closing costs, proration of property taxes, etc.)



Before you accept this offer (which really sounds bad to me), go to the bank that holds your first mortgage and see what they%26#039;ll offer. If you have a pretty good credit history, even with your current debt, you should qualify for a much better interest rate and fees. Since you%26#039;re loan is going to be for a shorter period of time, your rate should actually be lower, not higher. I don%26#039;t think this finance company is doing you any favors. Also, check the terms of your existing loans--you may have prepayment penalties, and you%26#039;d have to consider increasing your loan amount to cover them. The prepaid finance charges are probably their fees for getting you the loan; they%26#039;re adding it to your loan, otherwise you%26#039;d be getting a reduced loan amount. For example, if you needed to borrow $100,000, and it cost you 6% to get the loan, you%26#039;d wind up with $94,000. In order for you to get the full $100k you want, you actually have to borrow $106,000.



I really think you can do better than this. No matter what you decide, make sure you have all the facts about the proposed loan. Also remember that you have a three day period to change your mind about the loan, even if you%26#039;ve signed loan documents.



Don%26#039;t let anyone put you under the gun to sign anything. No one will have to live with the consequences and payments but you.

No comments:

Post a Comment