Sunday, August 9, 2009

Ancestry.com?

How easy is it to cancel a membership to Ancestry.com? I%26#039;m interested in a 14 day free trial they%26#039;re offering. They want my credit card number and say I can cancel at any time, but I know some of these places make that VERY difficult. Has anyone ever canceled an Ancestry.com account and if so, how difficult/easy was it? Also, do the amount of records they have available make it worth the cost?



Thanks!



Ancestry.com?credit card offers





Before you do this, you might check out your county library (and not for books!) My library has a FREE link to ancestry.com that gets you access to everything ... It has saved me a ton of money! Just call the reference desk at the library and they should be able to help you.



Ancestry.com? loan



It was pretty easy for me to cancel. I didn%26#039;t have any problems. They tried to keep me, but I was done with what I needed and left. The sales person I talked to wasn%26#039;t very good at being persuasive. As for what they have on their site, it is worth it for awhile. They have all the census records indexed and all digitized. It is easy to navigate. As for the rest, you might some find some things, but then you might not find a lot. They have been trying to get more onto their website, but there are so many records in existence, it would take a lifetime to put them all on-line. It is a great place to start and you might stay there for a couple of months, but after-wards, you will still have to find other places to find records, which is fine, genealogy should be a lifetime pursuit anyway.|||It%26#039;s really easy to cancel, my friend did. I myself went onto the world collection, and I love it. I am very satisfied with the service I get, wouldn%26#039;t want to cancel.|||very easy, No Tronble at all.



I%26#039;ve done it before. Remember it is only free once!



I think it is worth the cost!



If you notice most of the %26quot;Free%26quot; sites have links to Ancestry.com. They are the first and I think the best and they are always adding new stuff.



I keep my %26quot;Free%26quot; tree as well and try to keep it up dated so I will get contacts from people who are searching for the same family as I am and are new or aren%26#039;t on ancestry.com but I get a lot more contacts from ANCESTRY.COM



If you have the money to spare then Start on Ancestry.com and stay with it. You will be able to built faster and find record easier.|||Yes the records are worth the cost. I never tried the freebie so I don%26#039;t have cancellation experience but they%26#039;re good to do business with. What you may want to do after the 14day is sign back up for the minimal of census %26amp; whatever goes with that. You%26#039;ll always want to be chasing down someone you%26#039;re hot on the trail of, on census at 1:15 AM in your tee %26amp; jammies.



You can find other ways to access census but none with what ancestry.com has to offer - so far.|||Justme is right. Many libraries have access to Ancestry.com or Heritagequest, both of which carry the census. I have had the free trial and cancelled it with little effort. The thing to remember is that you have to cancel BEFORE the 14 days is up, or they will charge your credit card. I did the free trial a few years ago. The reason why I cancelled then was because I didn%26#039;t feel like the number of records on Ancestry.com justified the cost; however, when I came back to it, they had a whole lot more. They are constantly adding new material every month. I think it is totally worth it now. Also keep in mind that they have different packages. If you think that you will benefit only from the U.S. or U.K. collection and not the whole %26quot;World%26quot; package, there is a cheaper rate you can pay.



If you cancel, they will of course try to keep you like any other company out there tries to keep its customers, but stick to your guns if you are adamant on leaving. Many customer service departments are trained to hear the word no from a customer a certain number of times before they complete cancellation. Good luck.|||Of course when you call to cancel, they will try to sell you different types of subscriptions (one that costs less for these databases only, one that costs less if you do a full year subscription, etc.). But if you simply repond, %26quot;No thank you, I%26#039;m sure I%26#039;d like to cancel%26quot;, then you should have no problem cancelling your account.



Is it worth the cost? It all depends on how much you will use it. I think it%26#039;s worth the cost because I use it every week for census records, etc. My advice is to really dig into it during your two week free trial and see if it%26#039;s something that you would pay for on a regular basis.



Good luck,



Dave



--



http://www.familypulse.org

No comments:

Post a Comment