Thursday, July 16, 2009

Professional college educated? Would you accept a menial job now?

I remember twenty years ago when I graduated from college the economy was in a recession and the unemployment rate was 16% in my hometown. It was nearly impossible to find a job, even fast food had 100s of applicants. I wondered if I would become homeless. Finally after spending 4 years in college and working so hard for a degree, I found a job at a factory sweeping the floor. I worked with all kinds of losers who were mostly high school dropouts.



Now 20 years later I may be forced to work in menial jobs to make ends meat while I am looking for a better job. There is an opening at 7-11 where a friend can pay me $6.45 an hour for the grave yard shift. I use to make $80K a year before I was laid off.



Anyone use to work in a professional job, get laid off and then forced for a time to do menial work?



Professional college educated? Would you accept a menial job now?student loan consolidation





When I graduated college, I was unable to find a job in my field as well. For two years, I drove a beer truck for a local distributor - not exactly what I went to school for. Bottom line is, a job supplies income. You sound old enough to understand that there are times we have to suck up our pride and take care of our families. At least with working the graveyard shift, you have the opportunity to job search and interview during normal business hours.



Best of luck to you in your job search - it may take some time, but I%26#039;ll bet you get back into your profession.



Professional college educated? Would you accept a menial job now?

loan



you should move to another place|||yes, and you will get through this and be a stronger person for it.....take the job, something is better than nothing, at least you can eat, things will get better. happy new year|||It%26#039;s always easier to find a job when you have a job. I would do whatever is necessary as long as it is safe and legal.|||D.T.R.T.



Do The Right Thing!



If you have to make ends meet, you have to make them meet.



It%26#039;s a slippery slope, but that%26#039;s reality, my friend.



Sometimes you have to leave town to make the money you need.



By the sounds of it you are at least in your 40%26#039;s, so branch out and make the money you have to.



Lead, follow or get out of the way.



Good luck.|||No, but I was a full time worker responsible for the care of many, had kids and now am doing a 24 hr, 7 day a week job with little adult contact at times. I get no sick leave, the pay is atrocious, but you know what, I wouldn%26#039;t change a thing.



I do get your point, I do sympathise, it is just not fair that you have to do these things sometimes to get by, but women have for years found themselves getting a education, getting to a certain level in their careers only to find themselves doing a job that is not what you would call a great career move in the professional sense.|||I%26#039;m there right now. Have a four year degree in programming that is now obsolete. Was once a programmer but was laid off. I am now a cooler warehouse worker on the overnight shift working with mostly foreigners from Bosnia, Ukraine, Turkey, Sudan, Congo, Ethopia, and of course Mexico. Most have fair to poor English speaking skills and some speak none at all. Compared to them, I%26#039;m very lucky.



I do what I do for several reasons, mainly family. One child in college and one in high school. I%26#039;m not willing to move to a bigger city just for bigger money and having to deal with big city issues. You gotta make choices and take the good with the bad.|||I would do whatever I needed to do to support my family and keep our home. In fact, when I was part of a RIF a few years back, I applied ANYWHERE I could think of. A job is a job. Right now, I think I%26#039;d be happier in a %26quot;menial%26quot; job than where I am now, but at the moment, the pay cut would put us too far into debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment