Thursday, July 16, 2009

Life of people who have been fired or laid off work? 10 points for the best advice.Thank you?

Isn%26#039;t it sad. We are facing 5.1 unemployment rate. Many jobs are laid off people.



What do you think? Thank you.



Life of people who have been fired or laid off work? 10 points for the best advice.Thank you?





I work in technology and have been laid off several times in the last 10 years. It is something that I survive. Growing up, my father was a union steelworker, and periodically the union would strike; I learned to have a cushion to survive. My church (LDS) teaches things like having low debt and keeping food storage to get through bad times; by doing this, people are less tempted to do wrong just to survive.



In 2001, the company I worked for went bankrupt, and I did not get $1100 in expenses or my last month of salary. On April 1st, I finally got the $1100 and am waiting for the IRS to calculate withholding so I will get the month%26#039;s salary. It was such a surprise!



I work for a large company; about 40% of the people in our group of 250 are Asian or Indian here on visas. I have been told I can%26#039;t get promoted because the job has to go to an Indian male who is being presented as having a unique skill set so the company can spend $25,000 on his becoming a citizen. In the meantime, I have 25 years of experience and am underpaid and have to watch this guy do very little actual work. I feel this is extremely wrong when there are Americans out of work, to bring people in to do jobs for which skill sets exist here.



My advice: Only buy a house you can afford on one paycheck, even if you are a two income house. Keep debt low; stock up on food before you are laid off. Try to keep a cushion of at least a month to three months in the bank. If you are laid off, do something everyday for job hunting to keep your name out there. Always be nice to receptionists and janitors; you never know when you will need a good word to get a job and everyone deserves respect. Take immediate stock of what expenses you can cut and do so. Involve the kids and let them know what sacrifices everyone will make. Be a lifetime learner; know what is going on in your industry and what skills you need to develop to get a different job if one arises. And, don%26#039;t try to be the last one standing for layoffs; often you will get a worse severance package and others have had time to snap up the other jobs. Don%26#039;t put all of your 401k in company stock; if the company goes belly up, you will lose your investment that could help see you through bad times.



Life of people who have been fired or laid off work? 10 points for the best advice.Thank you?

loan



It has been lots worse than this



10% unemployment and 16 % interest rates under jimmy carter in the late 70%26#039;s



If you want to see tough times go to Detroit right now|||I was laid off in January. I JUST got a job offer this past Friday (4/4/08). I had been actively looking for work... I really had no savings because at the end of the year I took my savings and paid it towards my debt. My severance package was 2 weeks pay... hardly enough to even be classified as a %26quot;package%26quot;. Fortunately I don%26#039;t have any dependents and I was able to get some help from family and friends. I did use that time to make a career change... I was in banking, and have decided to go back to retail management. I couldn%26#039;t be happier with my decision.|||It is sad but more importantly it is hard. Especially when both spouses get laid off and are unable to find something with the same amount of pay or even less. I know because this happend to my husband and myself. Our children are the ones who suffer for it. Extra things had to be canceled, bank accounts went for food and lightbill, car payment, ins. etc. With little to no help from the state and prices rising it is like living your worst nightmare. Having to tell your kids you are unable to buy them a particular pair of shoes or clothing because the price is just not within budget at the time tears a parent%26#039;s heart right out. We live in one of the poorest section of this country and to be honest it is just plain depressing. We work hard to give our children what they need. To be deprived of that is something I doubt we will ever be over, even with our kids telling us they understand. No one should have to deal with that! Employers should look at what exactly is at stake before laying off. Firing well there should be a really good reason.|||There are certain sectors that are flourishing. Health Care, Education, and Technology are three good examples. The point here is that to be successful in these industries you need education. I believe the US is becoming overshadowed by an evolving global economy.



Also the lowest rates of unemployment are in the south and west. Basically urban centers that arent tied to manufacturing. Seattle and Texas cities have the lowest unemployment.



From what I have read (wall street journal) Bernanke (fed chairman) says that the US economy will experience the worst part of this recession in the 3rd quarter of this year and a revival at the end of the year. I think that is extremely optimistic. Think about changing industries. Stay away from cities that are tied to manufacturing. Research the unemployment in certain areas and, if your willing to change, move.|||You should go look at the unemployment rates monthly since WW ll.



They average alot higher than 5.1%|||Employers have for years used the unemployment stats to their advantage. They blame lay offs on the economy and turn over employees so they reduce wages. This turn over means lower insurance, wages, benefits, higher productivity and they don%26#039;t have to concern themselves with pension plans.



You have to be versatile in the market. That%26#039;s why education is so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment